(15+ Years Old)
- Milk: nonfat or 1% milk (16-24 ounces or 2-3 cups per day).
- Sweetened drinks (like juice, soda, Gatorade, lemonade, punch, Koolaid, etc) are not recommended. If you drink them, limit them to no more than 8-12 ounces per day, and only once a day. Try to dink them only occasionally, not all the time.
- It is better to drink milk and water than sugar drinks.
- Limit fast food and junk foods. If you eat them, do so only occasionally, not all of the time.
- Eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables everyday.
- Take a daily multivitamin.
- Always use seat belts.
- Children under 13 years old should still ride in the back seat of the car.
- Always wear a bike helmet when riding a bicycle.
- Gun safety: It is SAFEST not to have guns in the home with children.
- If guns are in the home, they should be locked up, unloaded, and the ammunition kept separately.
- Discuss dating, relationships, sex, birth control, condoms, sexually transmitted diseases, and the responsibilities of parenthood with your adolescent.
- Teach your adolescent how to make the right decisions for him or herself.
- If one is having sex, it is important to use condoms AND birth control.
- For girls, pelvic exams and pap smears are recommended after age 21.
- Discuss smoking, alcohol, and drugs.
- Discuss drinking and driving. Make a contract or promise not to drink and drive or get in the car with a friend who is about to drive after drinking.
- Read everyday.
- Limit TV and total screen time (computer, internet, video games, X-box, Play Station, Wii, etc) to no more than 2 hours per day.
- You should get at least 1 hour of physical activity or exercise everyday.
- You should brush your teeth at least twice a day.
- Regular dental checkups every 6 months are recommended.
- Sun protection: Use sunscreen SPF 30 or higher, with UVA and UVB protection.
- All children should receive the flu vaccine every year in the fall.
Next Checkup: In 1 year
Return to the Wellness Visit Schedule