- Your baby needs only breast milk and/or formula at this age.
- When using formula, it is important to use a formula with iron.
- Do not use a low-iron formula.
- Your baby does not need any water or juice at this age.
- Your baby is too young to start on baby foods or cereal. Your baby does not need these foods until he or she is 4 to 6 months old.
- Breastfed babies should take a vitamin supplement, either Tri-Vi-Sol with iron or Poly-Vi-Sol with iron, 1 ml (one dropper) daily.
- Your baby should sleep on the back only, not on the side or tummy.
- Tummy time: Let your baby spend time on his or her tummy during every awake period.
- REMEMBER: “Back to Sleep, Tummy to Play”
- Your baby should always ride in a car seat facing backwards in the back seat of the car.
- Your baby should never ride in the front passenger even with an airbag.
- Normal development for babies between 2 and 4 months of age:
- Smiling, cooing, and following your with his or her eyes
- Lifts head more and controls head better
- Pushes up with arms
- Puts hands in mouth
- Reaches for objects and puts everything in mouth
Next Checkup: In 2 months when your child is 4 months old
Return to the Wellness Visit Schedule