- Milk: nonfat or 1% milk (16-24 ounces or 2-3 cups per day).
- Your child does not need sweetened drinks (like juice, soda, Gatorade, lemonade, punch, Koolaid, etc). Juice is optional. If you give them, limit them to no more than 8-12 ounces a day and give only once a day.
- It is better for your child to drink milk and water rather than sweetened drinks.
- Fast foods and junk foods should be given as occasional treats, not all the time.
- Your child should eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables everyday.
- All children should take a daily multivitamin.
- Your child should continue to ride in a booster seat until about 80 pounds or 4 feet 9 inches tall.
- The back seat is still the safest place for your child.
- Your child should always wear a bike helmet when riding a bicycle, and a helmet and pads when rollerskating, rollerblading or riding a scooter or skateboard.
- Gun safety: It is SAFEST not to have guns in the home with children.
- If guns are in the home, they should be locked up, unloaded, and the ammunition kept locked separately.
- Encourage your child to read everyday.
- Limit TV time and total screen time (computer, internet, video games, X-Box, Play Station, Wii, etc) to no more then 2 hours per day.
- Your child should get at least 1 hour of physical activity or exercise everyday.
- Your child should brush his or her teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste.
- Regular dental checkups every 6 months are recommended.
- This is a good age for swimming lessons
- Sun Protection: Use sunscreen SPF 30 or higher, with both UVA and UVB protection.
- All children should receive the flu vaccine every year in the fall.
Next Check Up: In 1 Year when your child is 8 years old
Return to the Wellness Visit Schedule