- Nonfat or 1% milk is recommended at this age. Your child should get about 16-24 ounces (2-3 cups) of milk per day.
- Your child does not need sweetened drinks (like juice, soda, Gatorade, lemonade, punch, Koolaid, etc). Juice is optional. If you give them, give no more than 4-6 ounces (1/2-2/3 a cup) a day and give only once a day.
- It is better for your child to drink milk and water rather than sweetened drinks.
- All children should take a daily multivitamin.
- Your child should always ride in a car seat or a booster seat (usually by 40 pounds) in the back seat of the car
- Your child should always wear a bike helmet when riding a bicycle, and a helmet and pads when rollerskating, rollerblading or riding a scooter or skateboard.
- Continue home childproofing: electric outlet covers, poison prevention, choking prevention and drowning prevention.
- Gun safety: It is SAFEST not to have guns in the home with children.
- If guns are in the home, they should be locked up, unloaded, and the ammunition kept locked separately.
- Normal development for children between 4 and 5 years of age
- Speak in complete sentence and speech is easy to understand.
- Knows alphabet, learns to write name. Learning letters and numbers.
- Draws simple person
- Can tell you about his/her day
- Potty trained during the day. Often still bedwetting at night.
- Encourage language development, read to your child everyday.
- Limit TV time to no more then 2 hours per day.
- Brush your child’s teeth twice a day. Use fluoride toothpaste (a small, pea-sized dab).
- Regular dental checkups every 6 months are recommended.
- Consider enrolling your child in preschool
- This is a good age for swimming lessons
- Protect your child from the sun. Use sunscreen SPF 30 or higher, with both UVA and UVB protection.
- Return for a flu vaccine every fall/winter: The first year that your child gets a flu vaccine, they need two doses given at least one month apart to be protected.
Next Check Up: In 1 Year when your child is 5 years old
Return to the Wellness Visit Schedule