(10-14 Years Old)
- Milk: nonfat or 1% milk (16-24 ounces or 2-3 cups per day).
- Sweetened drinks (like juice, soda, Gatorade, lemonade, punch, koolaid, etc) are not recommended. If you drink them, limit them to no more than 8-12 ounces per day, and only once a day. Try to dink them only occasionally, not all the time.
- It is better to drink milk and water than sugar drinks.
- Limit fast food and junk foods. If you eat them, do so only occasionally, not all of the time.
- Eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables everyday.
- Take a daily multivitamin.
- Always use seat belts.
- Children under 13 years old should still ride in the back seat of the car.
- Always wear a bike helmet when riding a bicycle.
- Gun safety: It is SAFEST not to have guns in the home with children.
- If guns are in the home, they should be locked up, unloaded, and the ammunition kept separately.
- Discuss physical development, puberty, and menstrual periods (for girls).
- Start to discuss dating, relationships, and sex with your adolescent. This may include discussions of birth control, condoms, sexually transmitted diseases and the responsibilities of parenthood. Teach your adolescent how to make the right decisions for himself or herself.
- Read everyday.
- Limit TV and total screen time (computer, internet, video games, X-box, Play Station, Wii, etc) to no more than 2 hours per day.
- You should get at least 1 hour of physical activity or exercise everyday.
- Discuss smoking, alcohol, and drugs.
- You should brush your teeth at least twice a day.
- Regular dental checkups every 6 months are recommended.
- Sun protection: Use sunscreen SPF 30 or higher, with UVA and UVB protection.
- All children should receive the flu vaccine every year in the fall.
Next Checkup: In 1 year
Return to the Wellness Visit Schedule