- Your baby needs only breast milk and/or formula at this age.
- When using formula, it is important to use a formula with iron.
- Do not use a low-iron formula.
- Your baby does not need any water or juice at this age.
- Your baby is too young to start on baby foods or cereal. Your baby does not need these foods until he or she is 4 to 6 months old.
- Breastfed babies should take a vitamin supplement, either Tri-Vi-Sol with iron or Poly-Vi-Sol with iron, 1 ml (one dropper) daily.
- Your baby should sleep on the back only, not on the side or tummy.
- Tummy time: Let your baby spend time on his or her tummy during every awake period.
- REMEMBER: “Back to Sleep, Tummy to Play”
- Your baby should always ride in a car seat facing backwards in the back seat of the car.
- Your baby should never ride in the front passenger even with an airbag.
- Call our office right away if your baby is less than two months old and has a fever (a temperature of 100.5 degrees or higher).
- You don’t need to take your baby’s temperature unless you think that he or she feels warm or is not acting normally.
- It is important that you have a thermometer at home and know how to use it to take your baby’s temperature (either under the arm or rectally).
- Also call our office for the following:
- Your baby vomits every time he or she eats.
- Your baby is having difficulty breathing.
- Your baby becomes very lethargic, is hard to wake up, or is not interested in feeding for 6 hours or more.
- Anything else that concerns you about your baby.
Return to the Wellness Visit Schedule