- Milk: nonfat or 1% milk (16-24 ounces or 2-3 cups per day).
- Your child does not need sweetened drinks (like juice, soda, Gatorade, lemonade, punch, koolaid, etc). If you give them, limit them to no more than 8-12 ounces per day, and only once a day.
- It is better for your child to drink milk and water than sugar drinks.
- Fast foods and junk foods should be given only occasionally, not all the time.
- Your child should eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables everyday.
- All children should take a daily multivitamin.
- Your child should always wear a seat belt in the car.
- A seat belt fits properly when the shoulder belt crosses the chest, the lap belt is low and snug across the thighs, and the child is tall enough so that when he or she sits against the vehicle seat back, the legs bend at the knees and the feet hang down.
- The back seat is still the safest place for your child.
- Your child should always wear a bike helmet when riding a bicycle, and a helmet and pads when roller skating, rollerblading, or riding a scooter or skateboard.
- Gun safety: It is SAFEST not to have guns in the home with children.
- If guns are in the home, they should be locked up, unloaded, and the ammunition kept separately.
- Encourage your child to read everyday.
- Limit your child’s TV and total screen time (computer, internet, video games, X-box, Play Station, Wii, etc) to no more than 2 hours per day.
- Your child should get at least 1 hour of physical activity or exercise everyday.
- Your child should brush his or her teeth at least twice a day.
- Regular dental checkups every 6 months are recommended.
- Protect your child from the sun. Use sunscreen SPF 30 or higher, with UVA and UVB protection.
- All children should receive the flu vaccine every year in the fall.
Next Checkup: In 1 Year when your child is 10 years old
Return to the Wellness Visit Schedule